Saturday, October 10, 2015

Everything Old is New Again

See, my Mum had a granny.

A 4ft-something, iron-fisted, Catholic matriarch. She lived to be 85 and died almost 30 years ago, but has has enjoyed something of a second wind since my search for her parents’ names sent me on a journey that would last years and end up on this blog.


Mary Tilson, c.1940.


This lady – my great-grandmother – was named Mary. She was born in 1900, married a man, had a family, and died an old lady. That was the whole story as far as Mum, her siblings (and hell, even her own mother) were led to believe.

But, Mum always wondered. In fact, this little lady left such a mark on her descendants that the mystery of her life was still casting as much of a shadow now as it had then.

To give the full story from my end, I have to go back  to March 2011 when I had what would be my final conversation with Mary's last surviving child. We were sitting in her front living room and talking about everything & anything when - for reasons neither of us can recall now - Mum asked:

“What was your Mummy’s last name?”
“Tilson. Why?”

To a seasoned genealogist, a maternal surname is a holy grail of a breadcrumb, but to this novice, it was something I quickly made note of in my iPhone and never looked at until two years later.


The note from this encounter has remained on my phone ever since.


Little did I know the sheer whirlwind of revelations and reverberations in which this conversation would result. 

So, flash forward again to March 2013. The subject of conversation somehow turned to family histories and I asked:

“Is there anything you’ve always wanted to know?”
“I guess where my granny came from.”
“Alright, let me have a look.”

I said this with absolutely no idea of how or where to find out this information. See, at this point there was no online GRONI to pull up a full scan of a birth certificate for just £2.

Luckily, there was Ancestry.co.uk. I did a search on its Birth, Marriage, and Death Index and found two likely hits that referred to a Mary Tilson being born in Belfast around April/May/June of 1900. Mum always remembered 31st May as being Mary’s birthday, so this seemed like a promising start.

The problem was that Ancestry didn’t (and still doesn't) provide actual birth certificates or even transcribed details, such as: parents’ names, address, or place of birth. You might get lucky and find those on one a Baptism catalogue, but - as we'll get to next time - such a source would not have helped in this particular case.

So, I started reaching again, trying half a dozen different sites before finding RootsIreland.ie. Now, if you tried Roots today, you would have to subscribe before getting the slightest piece of intel. In 2013, however, I was luckier: by entering the information I had into the site's Baptism/Birth database, I was able to find the two records that Ancestry.co.uk had pointed towards. Except, on Roots, I was able to purchase the full birth record(s) for £5.00 each.

This seemed like a decent enough investment to give my Mum in order to answer her long-burning question, plus I knew that there was nothing else about Mary that I needed to know beyond whatever was contained in this £5.00 birth record.

I paid the £5.00, opened up the first of the two recorda, and saw that Mum was indeed correct about 31st May 1900 being Mary’s birthday. My eyes ran through the record and lit up at seeing the name of Mary’s mother: Julia Tilson. Julia! A lovely name. Not all that common in our family, but Mum’s favourite movie was Pretty Woman, so she’d probably like this ever-so tangential connection to Ms. Roberts.

As I mentally played through all of this in about 0.3 seconds, my brain started to catch up with my eyes as it noticed the blank space staring back at me next to “Father’s name.” It then began to process other words, namely:

“Illegitimate."
“Workhouse."


You never forget your first record.


Now, despite having done some surface-level into Victorian society while at university, all I knew about those terms was from whatever I had picked up during the odd Catherine Cookson adaptation.
  
But, instantly, I was consumed. I needed to know more: about Mary, Julia, and about this Workhouse. But where and how was I to find those records? Did they even exist anymore?
__________

I eventually found the answers to these questions (though my ancestors did not make it easy)  and I will share some of those answers here. But what I want to do with this blog is to help new family researchers (especially those seeking out Irish records) by discussing my experiences with various organisations, archivists, and the learning curve that comes with making the kinds of educated guesses that can lead you to new places, new people, and new understandings of your family.

If you would like me to help you directly/privately with your research, then please leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment